Monday, October 11, 2010

Conroe Catfish Festival

Friday night I flew out from Branson to Houston on a relaxing flight with Branson AirExpress. Then from Houston I went to the mid-sized town of Conroe Texas for a not so mid-sized festival.  I had no idea what to expect other than the implied cajun/catfish eatery, but I found much more than that. 

First let me give you a little history about the festival (which I learned from talking to a very friendly local).  This is the 21st year the festival has run, which attracts up to 40,000 people annually.  All the benefits from the festival go to the non-profit organization “Friends of Conroe Inc,” which promotes community projects and renovation.  Like I said before, Conroe Texas may be a mid-sized town, but during this time of year it attracts large amounts of people. 

At first I thought of the festival as a large state fair, but it’s much more than that.  They best way I can describe it is as if a state fair merged with Mardi Gras. Fun on top of more fun; that’s the type of event I enjoy!

What were my favorite parts of the festival?  Well… everything (because they literally had everything).  The music was fantastic!  With four stages rotating bands all throughout the night there was never a dull moment.  The food was beyond delicious, and as expected for any type of festival I ate until I could eat no more.  Among the foods I sampled were fried gator on a stick, seafood gumbo, fried catfish, an oyster poboy, and a gigantic turkey leg. Five wineries were at the festival giving out samples of many different types of wine and cheese, and with Bud Light as the sponsor there was more than enough merriment to go around.

But the festival didn’t just have fun for adults; it was loaded with activities for children too!  There were fun rides for kids along with the, “Small Fry Stage,” where young dancers from local art schools performed. 

This was a great event promoting a good cause and I was never bored (or hungry) for a minute.

Check out what else there is to do in Houston and its surrounding areas at Branson AirEpxress.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment